Free Spirited Discussions!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Spirited Discussions!

This is a forum where free spirited individuals can have their say on a number of important topics related to the world, reality, and existences outside of it. Please remember to keep an open mind!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Unsane CultureUnsane Culture  Persephone's GatewayPersephone's Gateway  The Spiritual CentreThe Spiritual Centre  Culture InternationalCulture International  Free Spirited Chat!Free Spirited Chat!  Herp UniverseHerp Universe  

Do atheists celebrate christmas?

Go down 
2 posters

Do atheists celebrate Christmas?
Yes
Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_lcap0%Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
no
Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_lcap0%Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Nobody should celebrate Christmas, it's a fraud
 0% [ 0 ]
HOHOHO!
Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_lcap100%Do atheists celebrate christmas? I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Freakshow
Admin
Freakshow

Do atheists celebrate christmas? Empty
PostSubject: Do atheists celebrate christmas?   Do atheists celebrate christmas? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Christmas is a tradition revolved around the concept of god, so do atheists celebrate it, and if so, isn't that ever so slightly hypocritical?
Back to top Go down
Freakshow
Admin
Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Do atheists celebrate christmas?   Do atheists celebrate christmas? EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Celebrating a tradition born from the very concept atheists refuse to believe to me is slightly hypocritical. But, who am I to make that accusation, I celebrate it, I'm not a Christian . . .

I suppose it's like St. Patrick's day, I could join in the celebrations if I choose, doesn't mean I care who this Patrick was...

This has now become a major flaw in my head towards my belief that Christianity is flawed...

If I, as someone who doesn't believe much into Christianity, and you, as an atheist, celebrate Christmas, fully aware that we think the concept from which it was born is a lie, should we even want to celebrate it?

How many Islam traditions do we celebrate? how many Hindu traditions? they are in our country but we ignore them . . . yet celebrate the very traditions we deem to be false . . .
Back to top Go down
GeckoShinx
Youngling
GeckoShinx

PostSubject: Re: Do atheists celebrate christmas?   Do atheists celebrate christmas? EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 am

To be fair, living in a country where Christianity is the official religion as such it is only normal that its people recognise Christmas as a celebration. Plus it is a celebration which is ingrained in UK culture. As for atheists, it is more of a public holiday than celebrating a religious event. Atheists don't use Christmas day as a time of celebrating Jesus, but sharing time with their families. So in essence, they aren't being hypocritical as they're using a public holiday as an excuse to spend time with their families and treat them. Seems fair enough to me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do atheists celebrate christmas?   Do atheists celebrate christmas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do atheists celebrate christmas?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Free Spirited Discussions! :: Free Spirited Debates :: Theology 101-
Jump to: