Free Spirited Discussions!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Spirited Discussions!

This is a forum where free spirited individuals can have their say on a number of important topics related to the world, reality, and existences outside of it. Please remember to keep an open mind!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Unsane CultureUnsane Culture  Persephone's GatewayPersephone's Gateway  The Spiritual CentreThe Spiritual Centre  Culture InternationalCulture International  Free Spirited Chat!Free Spirited Chat!  Herp UniverseHerp Universe  

Time - what is it and does it really exist?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Freakshow
Admin
Freakshow

Time - what is it and does it really exist? Empty
PostSubject: Time - what is it and does it really exist?   Time - what is it and does it really exist? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 8:46 pm

I was having a debate with somebody on another forum and it led to the discussion of time, and whether it exists. I thought it was a good philosophical question, as it could lead to a lot of different opinions and thoughts. So, here it is!

Does time really exist, and if it does, did it exist before man? If it did, what was it? Animals and other life don't care about time, only Humans do, and only Humans ever will...

It may be something mankind named, but is it real? Humans found a way to measure it that part is clear. Did we create time or simply find a way to measure it? Scientists theorise about time travel, but is time actually real? Is time travel impossible because time doesn't really exist?

Do Humans' have a real sense of time without a clock? is the use of the sun and the moon a factor in it if we do? in our heads we can estimate the time but using our last interaction with a time-piece.

Hmmm . . .

I think without time, everything that ever has been, is, and ever would be, would exist in the same moment, thus destroying the universe - bizarre but I think it could be true. Time allows separation of separate entities. Without time, nothing could come before or after, it would all be here now.

I think time exists.
Back to top Go down
Clara Listensprechen
Youngling
Clara Listensprechen

Time - what is it and does it really exist? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time - what is it and does it really exist?   Time - what is it and does it really exist? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:07 am

Of course time is real; without time, everything would happen all at once.

Time is the means by which events occur sequentially; the word "time" also refers to the means by which to measure the sequences of events.

And yes, I'm always getting into arguments with the Creationist crowd who believe that God took six days to create Creation, only it really didn't mean six literal days. Six days could easily mean six million years.

So...what's a year? By measure, it's the time that Earth takes to come full circle around the sun. What's a day? The time that Earth takes to revolve one complete revolution.....both are measurements of sequence of specific events.

And I have to point out to Creationists that the longer God has to take to create Creation, the more subject to time God is, and so couldn't possibly have been the creator of time. And then I ask why is it that an almighty God gets pooped and has to rest for 7th million years.
Back to top Go down

Time - what is it and does it really exist?
Page 1 of 1