Free Spirited Discussions!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Spirited Discussions!

This is a forum where free spirited individuals can have their say on a number of important topics related to the world, reality, and existences outside of it. Please remember to keep an open mind!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Unsane CultureUnsane Culture  Persephone's GatewayPersephone's Gateway  The Spiritual CentreThe Spiritual Centre  Culture InternationalCulture International  Free Spirited Chat!Free Spirited Chat!  Herp UniverseHerp Universe  

Today, over 25,000 children died around the world

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Freakshow
Admin
Freakshow

Today, over 25,000 children died around the world Empty
PostSubject: Today, over 25,000 children died around the world   Today, over 25,000 children died around the world EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 am

Quote :
Over 25,000 children die every day around the world.

That is equivalent to:

* 1 child dying every 3.5 seconds
* 17-18 children dying every minute
* A 2004 Asian Tsunami occurring almost every 1.5 weeks
* An Iraq-scale death toll every 16–38 days
* Over 9 million children dying every year
* Some 70 million children dying between 2000 and 2007

The silent killers are poverty, hunger, easily preventable diseases and illnesses, and other related causes. In spite of the scale of this daily/ongoing catastrophe, it rarely manages to achieve, much less sustain, prime-time, headline coverage.

Most people are at least aware of this, what they are probably less aware of that media broadcasters justify airing lesser news in favour of the tragedy's like these simply because they happen everyday. Maybe if news channels concentrated less on being 'entertainment' and more on being a resource for affairs, ongoing and current, maybe more people would wish to help. Sadly, statistics probably show repetitive news means viewers growing tired and resulting in less ratings, which impacts advertising shown in between news shows.
What does this say about the public in general? They want to know what's going on in the world so they can talk about it the next day with work colleagues, say how much of a tragedy it is, then proceeding to forget about it feeling like a good, caring soul, and moving on to the next glamorised tragedy. Of course, its unfair to say that these viewers should be obliged to help in some way, but what happens is ongoing affairs that really matter are made to seem slightly less significant than more pressing issues like Jade Goody.

Anyway, you can read the full story here if you're interested.

Back to top Go down
its me
Youngling
its me

Today, over 25,000 children died around the world Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today, over 25,000 children died around the world   Today, over 25,000 children died around the world EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm

to me,people dont care about issues like this.im not saying i dont because i do.alot of people are more interested in what goes on in the 'celeb' world rather than the real one.

take the other week back,i had the c4 news on at dinnertime and the top story was jade goody coming out of hospital when that same morning a crazed gunman walked into a school in germany and shot dead pupils and teachers.

what is more important?

i get called a snob for reading the daily mail.its a real newspaper study
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1